- 5 whole grain hamburger buns, divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 (15.25-ounce) can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 4 tablespoons low sodium honey mustard
- 1 avocado, cut into slices
- 1 tomato, sliced
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Tear 1 of the buns and place in a food processor; process 4 times or until crumbs measure about 1 cup. Transfer to a bowl.
Combine 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, beans, no salt seasoning and pepper in processor; pulse 8 times or until beans make a thick paste. Scrape bean mixture into bowl with breadcrumbs. Stir in rind, egg and egg white. With moistened hands, divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions (about 1/3 cup mixture per portion), shaping each into a 3-inch patty.
Heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; reduce heat to medium, and cook 4 minutes or until bottom edges are browned. Carefully turn patties over; cook 3 minutes or until bottom edges are done.
Spread the honey mustard on the inside of the remaining 4 buns. Please a bean patty on each. Top with avocado and tomato slices. Serve immediately.
Sponsor: Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute