News

Actions

Man who injured self during SWAT situation in Lindon has died

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 1:16 PM, Sep 25, 2014
and last updated 2014-09-26 00:30:06-04

LINDON, Utah – The SWAT team was blocking off streets in Lindon for a standoff with an armed man in a parking lot Thursday, and after several hours of negotiations the situation culminated with the man suffering a self-inflicted gunshot wound that led to his death.

Lindon Police Chief Cody Cullimore said the suspect, a 36-year-old Caucasian man with a handgun, recently lost his job and may be suicidal.

Authorities were asking residents to avoid the area near 1400 W. 300 S. during the standoff.

About five businesses in the area were on lockdown while authorities negotiated with the man.

Cullimore said at about 7:30 p.m. the suspect told negotiators he was going to end the situation “one way or the other.”

Concerned for the safety of those involved, officers attempted to enter the vehicle. The suspect fired a shot at that time and injured himself.

The man was taken to Utah Valley Medical Center by ambulance. Cullimore said the man was alive at that time, but did not provide specific details regarding the man’s condition. At around 9:00 p.m., Cullimore said the man had been pronounced dead at the hospital.

FOX 13 News does not generally report on incidents that appear to be a suicide unless the incident has broader ramifications to the community, such as a SWAT response.