- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 spaghetti squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3/4 lb. ground chicken on turkey
- 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, no salt added
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan (1 ounce)
- No Salt Seasoning and pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drizzle 2 tablespoons oil over the interior of each half of the squash. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Let cool for 5 minutes. Using a fork, remove the spaghetti squash and place in a bowl. Cover; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Add the chicken or turkey, no salt seasoning and pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until no longer pink; about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, oregano, basil, no salt seasoning and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce slightly thickens, about 5 minutes.
Serve the meaty sauce over the spaghetti squash. Top with parsley and cheese.
Sponsor: Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute