Chunky Clam Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 russet potatoes, peeled, quartered and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 4 cups milk
- 2 (6.5-ounce) cans minced clams, drained, juice reserved
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 3 bacon slices, cooked, crumbled
- Oyster crackers, for serving
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a large pot, over medium heat, add the butter and the oil; melt.
Saute the onions and garlic with salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
Mix in the flour and continue stirring for 1-2 minutes. Add the potatoes and thyme.
Stir in the milk and the juice from the canned clams. Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Add clams and corn to the pot. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
Transfer to individual soup bowls or a large soup bowl. Garnish each serving with bacon and oyster crackers.