- 1/2 cup large Greek black olives, drained, pitted, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 (16 oz.) jar Italian Mix Giardiniera, drained, diced
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 12 small deli rolls, cut in half
- 12 thin mozzarella cheese slices
- 12 thin deli ham slices
- 12 thin provolone cheese slices
- 12 Genoa salami slices
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Mix the first 8 ingredients in a bowl with salt and pepper. Set aside.
Top each roll with 1 mozzarella cheese slice, 1 ham slice, 1 provolone cheese slice, 1 salami slice and 1-2 tablespoons olive salad. Cover with roll tops, and wrap sandwiches together in a large piece of aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Note: Store extra olive salad in a sealed container for up to 4-5 days.
A traditional style muffuletta sandwich consists of a muffuletta loaf split horizontally and covered with layers of marinated olive salad, mortadella, salami, mozzarella, ham, and provolone. The sandwich is sometimes heated to soften the provolone. Quarter, half, and full-sized muffulettas are sold.
The signature olive salad consists of olives diced with the celery, cauliflower and carrot found in a jar of giardiniera, seasoned with oregano and garlic, covered in olive oil, and allowed to combine for at least 24 hours.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market