The single-use laundry pods are convenient but they could be a serious hazard to young children.
That's according to a study published Monday in the journal "Pediatrics."
According to the National Poison Center, an average of one child per day across the U.S. went to the hospital because of the pods in 2012 and 2013.
The findings show the Poison Control Centers took more than 17,000 calls during those two years.
Researchers said the colorful pods look like candy or juice to young children.
Officials said they believe increased efforts are needed to prevent children from harming themselves with the pods.
“These children have come in, in coma, they've stopped breathing, we've even had two deaths in the last two years due to exposure to laundry detergent packets,” said Dr. Gary Smith who authored the study.
Dr. Smith said more than 60 percent of calls were caused by one child every 45 minutes.
“Here in Utah, we’ve seen a similar increase,” said Sherrie Pace with the Utah Poison Control Center.
Pace urges parents to store the pods like other household cleaners, up high and locked away.
“Don’t take for granted that the kids won’t get into them, they could. They’re very, very attractive,” Pace said.
If your child swallows a pod, Call Utah Poison Control right away and follow their instructions.
Their number is 800-222-1222.