Police ID suspect in St. George standoff

Posted at 5:13 AM, Dec 02, 2014
and last updated 2014-12-03 00:01:54-05

ST. GEORGE, Utah — A man involved in standoff with St. George police Tuesday morning has been identified as Guy Fotheringham.

The incident stemmed from a domestic dispute with a cohabitant at the suspect’s residence in the area of 500 East and St. George Boulevard.

St. George police report in a Facebook post that the incident started during the late night hours of Monday night when Fotheringham allegedly got into a confrontation with a neighbor.

Police state the confrontation led to Fotheringham illegally entering his neighbor’s property and breaking the victim’s belongings.

Police report that Fotheringham returned home and a domestic dispute ensued between him and a cohabitant. The suspect allegedly made threats.

During the course of the argument, police report, Fotheringham retrieved two firearms and began firing shots.

The weapons used were believed to be an AR-15 rifle and a .32 caliber pistol.

Approximately eight to 10 rounds were fired during the incident, police report.

Officers spent most of Tuesday morning trying to make contact with Fotheringham, who remained in the residence where the shooting occurred.

After hours of attempting to make contact with Fotheringham, police employed a powder form of pepper spray to coax the suspect out of the home.

“Shortly after the introduction of the pepper spray powder the subject peacefully exited the residence and surrendered to officers,” a post on the St. George Police Department’s Facebook page said.

Officers shut down St. George Blvd. between 400 East and 700 East for several hours after the shooting.

Police said residents of about 20 mobile homes north of St. George Blvd. had voluntarily evacuated and the Red Cross opened a support center for the evacuees.

“I heard six shots go off in the air,” said evacuee Josh Briggs. “It sounded like it was in the back of my room, but ended up being some guy in the back.”

Officers spent close to six hours Tuesday morning trying to make contact with Fotheringham, who remained in the residence where the shooting occurred.

Capt. Mike Giles with St. George police said Fotheringham will be evaluated by medical professionals both physically and mentally.

Fotheringham was booked into Purgatory Correctional facility on criminal trespass, criminal mischief, criminal mischief domestic violence, threats, unlawful discharge of a firearm and possession of a firearm by a restricted person.

Please wait a moment for the Facebook posts to load.