French Onion Dip
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups onions, chopped
- 1 can (14-ounce) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/3 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and no salt seasoning; cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Add broth, scrape up any browned bits, and simmer until liquid is almost evaporated, 10 to 20 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until onions are deep golden brown, 5 to 8 minutes more. Stir in onion powder, then stir in vinegar and cook until evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
Combine sour cream and yogurt in a medium bowl. Stir in onion mixture. Chill for at least 30 minutes to blend flavors. Serve with raw vegetables and whole grain crackers.
Sponsor: Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute