6 college students sent to hospital after hash oil overdose, St. George police say

Posted at 9:20 PM, Dec 15, 2014

ST GEORGE, Utah -- Police arrested a man they said provided hash oil that got six Dixie State University students so sick, they went to the hospital.

Police say 22-year-old Cedric Morin gave the group access to the hash oil during a party on Dec. 5.

Officers responded to the off-campus student housing building on 1000 East and found the six students in various stages of drug impairment.

“It was more than just a sickness,” said St. George police Sgt. Sam Despain. “There were some contributing factors there. We suspected some drug overdose or some drugs might be involved.”

Despain said through a search warrant they found hash oil in Morin’s room, along with other prescription drugs. Morin told police the hash oil had a prescription out of California, but that prescription has no effect across state lines.

He was arrested and booked in Purgatory Correctional Facility on possession of an illegal substance, and possession of drug paraphernalia.

“Right now in Utah, marijuana is illegal regardless of a medical prescription or not,” Despain said.

Police say those charges were enhanced because of where the incident took place.

It is off-campus housing, but only just across the street. It’s still considered a drug-free zone.

Morin is being held on $12,000 bail.