Chunky Tomato and Basil Soup
- 3 pounds tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) diced tomatoes, with their juice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss together the tomatoes with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet. Roast for 25 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Saute the onions and garlic with salt and pepper for 5-6 minutes until softened.
- Add the canned tomatoes, thyme, dried basil, red pepper flakes and vegetable or chicken stock.
- Add the oven-roasted tomatoes, including the liquid on the baking sheet.
- Bring to a boil; simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Add fresh basil just before serving.
Note: Serve with toasted baguette.