- 2 1/2 cups loosely packed basil, divided
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup pine nuts or slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 large rolls or hoagies
- 8 oz. fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- Salt, to taste
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a blender or food processor, mix together 2 cups of the basil, garlic, parmesan cheese and nuts. With the blade running, drizzle in the oil. Add salt, to taste.
Spread a thin layer of the basil pesto on the bottom of each roll or hoagie. Top each one with some of the mozzarella cheese, tomato slices and some of the remaining basil. Note: Reserve a few leaves of fresh basil to tear when the sandwiches are done. Bake for 4-5 minutes until the buns are toasted and the cheese melts. Serve immediately.
Note: You can use mini pizza crust instead of the rolls or hoagies.
Sponsor: Dan's Market