- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 packet (1 to 1.4 ounces) dry onion soup mix, divided
- 2 egg whites or 1 whole egg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound whole grain rotini pasta, cooked
- Freshly chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons onion soup mix, egg whites, nutmeg, salt and pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 12 1-1/2-inch meatballs. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place meatballs in skillet; cook 17 to 19 minutes, turning occasionally to brown evenly on all sides. Remove from pan; keep warm.
Pour off excess drippings from skillet, if necessary. Add milk and remaining onion soup packet to same skillet, stirring until browned bits attached to bottom of skillet are dissolved. Combine cornstarch and water; add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently. Return meatballs to skillet; cook 3 to 4 minutes or until heated through.
Serve over pasta. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Note: Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.
Sponsor: UT Beef Council