Boyfriend bites off woman’s nose in bizarre, violent attack

Posted at 11:44 AM, Feb 19, 2015

MYRTLE BEACH, SC – Michele Messer is recovering after she said an ex-boyfriend bit off half of her nose.

Messer said she broke up with Chris Campbell a few weeks before running into him the night she said he attacked her.

Michele Messer said she ran into Campbell at a party Feb. 7 and when he asked her to talk outside, she thought nothing of it.

But as soon as they got in her vehicle, Messer said everything changed.

“I remember him just beating me everywhere, punching me everywhere, mainly in the face,” she said.

Messer then felt him use his teeth.

She remembers feeling his teeth on her face and then remembers coming to.

She asked him what happened and he said, “I bit your nose off.”

But Messer, in shock, was numb and didn’t believe him.

“I was looking down and I just saw blood pouring from my face and then I just kind of looked around and saw blood smeared and everywhere in my van… all over,” she said.

Messer said Campbell then started to choke her and told her he had to kill her.

She said she was able to grab the door handle and fall out of the van.

Messer said that’s when a witness called police.

Authorities originally charged Campbell with criminal domestic violence.

“I was outraged, I was outraged; I remember calling and I was like, ‘Why is that?’ Like I’m sitting here permanently disfigured, a body part is missing and he intended to kill me. That was his intent. I mean, it was very clear what he said to me.”

Messer said she was worried he would come back and a piece of paper wouldn’t stop him.

But then authorities changed Campbell’s charge to attempted murder.

Police said this is because they later discovered his intent to kill Messer, the force he used and the fact that he choked her.

Right now, Messer is relieved the charges are more serious especially because she is a mother of two.

“It’s a blessing to know that I get to still be here with them and they get to still be here with me, you know? Because I unintentionally put them in a really bad situation and the guilt eats me alive by that,” she said.

But Messer said the battle isn’t over yet.

“Even though, thank God, we’ve got the charges upgraded, that’s still not even half the battle because between the pleas and the charges being suspended, you know, these men are still walking around every single day.”