- 1 cup pearled barley
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or feta cheese
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley or cilantro, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Combine the barley, 3 cups water and a pinch salt in a medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the barley is tender, about 45 minutes. Drain in a colander and let cool. (Note: Quick cooking barley is available and will work.)
Combine the tomatoes, blue or feta cheese, olives, bell pepper and celery in a bowl. Add the cooled barley.
In a small bowl, whisk together the shallot, mustard, red wine vinegar and olive oil in a separate small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing and parsley or cilantro to salad; mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour for best flavor.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market