- 1 lb. bag or box cornbread mix
- Eggs and Milk according to box directions
- 1 (4 oz.) can green chilies, diced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can Mexican flavor diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 scallions, diced
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Prepare cornbread according to package directions, but add can of green chilies to batter before baking.
In a large skillet, bring oil up to medium high heat. Saute beef, pepper, celery, garlic, onion, salt and pepper until beef is browned and vegetables are softened; about 4-5 minutes. Drain excess fat. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, ketchup, Worcestershire, sugar, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Cut cornbread into 2” x 2” pieces. For each serving, place cornbread in the bottom of a bowl. Add some of the sloppy joe mixture over the bread. Top with some cheese and a few scallions.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council