- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf, fresh or dried
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning or seafood seasoning
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable, fish or chicken stock
- 3 cups cream or whole milk
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 8 ounces cooked lump crab meat
- Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
Heat a Dutch oven or soup pot brought up to medium heat, add oil and butter. Add potatoes, celery, onion, salt and a generous amount of black pepper. Add bay leaf and Old Bay or seafood seasoning; mix well. Saute for 5 minutes. Stirring constantly, add flour; cook 2 minutes. Slowly add broth and cream or milk. Bring soup to a boil; then reduce to a simmer.
Add corn and crab meat. Cook an additional 5-10 minutes. Remove bay leaf. Ladle soup into soup bowls and garnish with desired toppings, such as hot sauce and oyster crackers, if desired.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market