- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 (3-pound) boneless chuck roast, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onion
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
- Kosher Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350º.
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chuck roast with thyme, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add roast to pan; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove roast from pan. Add onion to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until tender.
Return browned roast to pan. Add the broth, garlic and bay leaf to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until the roast is almost tender.
Add carrots to pan. Cover and bake an additional 1 hour or until desired doneness and carrots are tender. Remove bay leaf from pan; discard. Cut roast and serve with carrots. Note: Make an easy gravy with the drippings in the pan to serve over the roast.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council