- 1 1/2 pounds peeled Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups low-fat milk, divided
- 1 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese , divided
- 4 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- 3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender. Drain. Add salt while still warm.
Melt butter over medium heat in medium saucepan. Add shallots, salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes or until softened, stirring frequently. Sprinkle flour over shallots. Gradually whisk in milk until well blended. Cook 4-5 minutes until slightly thickened. Add 3/4 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper, and bacon.
Arrange half of potato slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour half of cheese sauce over potato slices. Top with remaining potato slices and cheese sauce; sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on top. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and lightly browned.
Before serving, garnish with parsley, green onions and red pepper flakes. Serve immediately.