High winds fan flames of cigarette butts catching Provo mobile home on fire

Posted at 9:59 PM, Apr 14, 2015
and last updated 2015-04-14 23:59:01-04

PROVO, Utah --Six people escaped with their lives after a mobile home they were in caught fire Tuesday evening.

The fire started shortly after 5 p.m.

Fire crews responded to 1973 W. 500 North where the structure was engulfed in flames.

Lynn Schofield, Provo Fire Marshal, said the people inside the mobile home escaped because of the quick thinking of a babysitter who got everyone to climb to safety from a window when flames blocked the front door.

Schofield said high winds fanned cigarette butts in an ash tray into flames then blew the flames into the mobile home.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

The video above from FOX 13 News viewer Billy shows the flames consuming the trailer home.