- ¼ lb butter
- ½ pork loin or shoulder (butt) or tenderloin, cut into 1” dice (I like the bigger side of the loin for this dish) and the other end I cut up into boneless pork
- 1 C. seasoned flour (salt and pepper added).
- 2 large sweet onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 32 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 3 10 oz. cans green chilies
- 1 quart low sodium chicken stock
- 2 C. smoked port without BBQ Sauce. This can be from left overs or purchased at the store.
Dust pork with the seasoned flour and brown off in one stick of butter in a large heavy duty stock pot. Once they are golden brown remove pork from pan.
In the same pan that the meat was browned in, leave fat and bits and add 2 large, medium diced sweet onions and 4 cloves of garlic course chopped (because it will be simmering for several hours don’t have to chop fine). Sauté until they have a little color.
Put meat back in pot
Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes (can be stewed – or whatever you have in the pantry)
Add 3 cans green chilies (canned or fresh or fresh frozen no matter what you use be sure they are peeled). Jalapenos is a good way to add heat later if it is to mild
Add one quart of low sodium chicken stock
Some like to add some coriander or other spices
Simmer for several hours until the pork is fork tender
Add 2 Cups – smoked pork without BBQ sauce to the stew and simmer for another hour and serve.
Recipe makes about 2 quarts in total.