A cancer diagnosis can bring about a flood of emotions, anxiety, fear, and questions in the patient and his or her family. The uncertainly can be frightening, but it is important to remember that every patient has a team of medical professionals to guide treatment, provide medical and supportive services, and offer emotional support throughout the entire process.
As a patient, you are a key part of your cancer care team, so asking questions, discussing treatment options, and making informed decisions with your doctors is encouraged.
- Discuss treatment options for your specific type of cancer
- Goals of treatment
- Side effects of treatment options
- Understanding the process
- Forming a cancer treatment plan
- Know the details of your cancer diagnosis
- Learn more about treatment plan
- Consider a second opinion
- Taking care of you
- Try to keep life as normal as possible
- Exercise as much as you can
- Maintain a healthy diet
- Find support in family, therapist, and support groups
- Communicate with your cancer care team