CLINTON, Utah -- A lawsuit filed in Davis County last week alleges a Utah woman was served a toxic cleaning solution at a Starbucks coffee shop in Clinton.
According to the lawsuit, Cheryl Kingery visited the coffee shop some time around July 25, 2012 and ordered a cup of coffee.
Based on information and belief, the lawsuit said, Kingery was provided with a cup containing the cleaning solution Urnex - a product used for cleaning coffee and espresso machines.
Kingery ingested the cleaning solution, which caused "burning mouth syndrome," loss of taste, esophagitis, erosions in her mouth and esophagus, oral nerve ending damage and numbness in her lips and tongue, the lawsuit said.
Kingery is seeking over $1.5 million in damages for medical expenses, wage loss, household services, prejudgment interest and anticipated future expenses.
"The safety of our customers is our highest priority. We take this obligation seriously and are investigating Ms. Kingery’s claims," wrote Laurel Harper, a spokeswoman for Starbucks Corporation, in response to FOX 13's request for comment.