News

Actions

Health officials testing Sugar House Park pond water after dog sickened, ducks killed

Posted at 11:03 AM, Aug 04, 2015
and last updated 2015-08-04 14:00:20-04

SALT LAKE COUNTY, Utah - Parks and Recreation officials are apologizing after a bacteria in the water may have paralyzed a dog at Sugar House Park over the weekend.

Officials are saying sorry for not acting faster to protect pets and families from the water at the park.

Dog sickened at Sugar House Park pond

Dog sickened at Sugar House Park pond

The deadly bacteria, avian botulism, has been lurking in the pond water and is believed to be responsible for killing dozens of ducks in June.

Experts said this form of bacteria cannot harm humans but it can sicken pets.

Health officials are now testing the water and putting out warning signs to ensure another pet doesn't get sick or worse.

Parks and Recreation workers said they should get the test results back by Thursday.

If the results are positive, the county plans to drain the pond to kill off the leftover bacteria.

However, many residents are saying these actions are too little, too late.

Some are asking why the signs weren't put out back in June when the ducks died.

Officials said they are very concerned about the sick dog and said they are learning from this experience so it doesn't happen again in the future.