WEST JORDAN, Utah -- Police and fire units responded to the area of 7900 South Old Bingham Highway Friday afternoon after a construction crew broke a 2-inch natural gas main, and officials on scene said residents in some nearby condos were evacuated and those in a day care center were being asked to shelter in place during the leak.
Deputy Chief Reed Scharman, West Jordan Fire Department, said the break occurred around 2:20 p.m. Friday when construction crews inadvertently struck the natural gas line.
About 20 residents in nearby condominiums were moved out of the area, and those inside of a nearby day care were asked to shelter in place. Questar Gas personnel came out and shut off the gas and then repair the damage.
The gas remained turned off at the condos near the break Friday afternoon, but it was expected gas service would be restored later in the evening.
Scharman said based on the wind direction and temperature they didn't believe the leak posed a threat to the day care center, but they determined sheltering in place was the best option. While Scharman did not name the day care center, Small World Child Care Centers is listed as being at 7908 South Old Bingham Highway.
Scharman said there was no north/south access on Old Bingham Highway between 7800 and 7900 South while crews responded to the break.