- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Twelve 2 1/2-inch diameter sweet dinner rolls, halved, such as King’s Hawaiian
- 12 small slices cheddar cheese
- 12 dill pickle slices
- 12 toothpicks
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, stir together the basil, egg, breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons ketchup, parmesan cheese, if using, salt, and pepper. Add the ground beef and gently stir to combine. Evenly divide the mixture into 12 mini meatballs, about golf ball size.
In a large frying pan up to medium high heat, add the oil. Cook meatballs on each side for 3-4 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
Place rolls, face open, on a baking sheet with 1 piece of cheese per roll. Bake for 3-4 minutes until cheese has melted and rolls are lightly toasted.
Place about 1 teaspoon of ketchup on each roll. Add a meatball. Put top of roll over meatball. Place one pickle on top of bun. Secure with toothpick. Repeat with the remaining rolls.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council