Aaron Hunter from Jordan School District is the Assistant Principal at the Joel P Jensen Middle School. He explained why being on time is so important for kids at school and how it has made a difference at his school.
He referenced some national statistics to which parents should pay attention:
- 5 million students miss 10% of school each year. That’s 135 million days!
- Chronic absence in kindergarten leads to lower academic achievement through 5th
- Missing just two days of school a month can put a child at risk for academic failure.
- One in ten kindergarten and 1st grade students miss nearly a month of school per year.
- By 6th grade, chronic absence is a clear predictor that students may drop out.