Counselor Kathy Parker shares facts and insights about Postpartum depression.
What are signs that you are experiencing PPD?
• "Baby blues" is a normal and expected response to having a baby. Symptoms include mood swings, anxiety about motherhood, tearfulness and feeling overwhelmed
• Postpartum Depression symptoms include struggling with bonding with baby, withdrawing from friends and family, worrying that you are not a good enough mother, thoughts of hurting yourself or your baby, intense mood swings that include depression, anxiety, fear and anger
How can I support a friend or family member?
• Approach your friend or family member with compassion and understanding
• Encourage her to meet with her doctor
• Instead of asking, "What can I do?" Offer something specific you can do to help her.
For more information, go here.