- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 cups (1/2-inch) peeled butternut squash, diced*
- 1 28-ounce no-salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added white hominy, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3 green onions, diced
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (optional)
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper
Heat oil in a large, heavy pan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Saute onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes with no salt seasoning and pepper. Add chili powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add squash, tomatoes (with the juice), stock, hominy, beans, no salt seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer. Add spinach 1-2 minutes before serving.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. To serve, garnish each bowl with cilantro and green onions. Add a dollop of yogurt to each serving, if using.
*Note: You can purchase butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed. Ask at your local grocery store.