Isabel Mejia, winner of the Eat Local Week Recipe Contest, shares her winning creation. You can find more information here.
Smothered Beef & Cheese Cabbage Enchiladas Recipe
• 1 head of green cabbage
• Bunch of green onions
• 1 Head of garlic
• Lau Local grass fed beef (1 lb of your fave cut)
• 1 cup button mushrooms
• Bunch of cilantro
• 3 big heirloom tomatoes
• Raw cheese from Rockhill creamery
• 2 spoonfuls of Chili Beak Oil
• cumin spice (optional)
• paprika spice (optional)
• Salt, pepper to taste
1. Cut beef into cubes. Chop up onions, 1/2 tomatoes, garlic, and 1/2 cup water and cook beef on medium heat. Cover and cook for 7 minutes.
2. While beef cooks, slice up mushrooms and cilantro and toss after meat has cooked 7 mins.
3. Carefully tear away the leave of a cabbage. Be careful not to rip!
4. Steam cabbage leaves in water for 3 mins.
5. Meanwhile, toss 2 tomatoes, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 cup chopped onion, handful of cilantro, 2 spoonfuls chili beak oil, 1 cup of water and blend to make a fresh enchilada sauce. The more tomatoes you add, the thicker the sauce.
6. Cut up strips of cheese. Grate some for melting on top.
7. Let cabbage leaves cool off. Snip the hard parts with a knife.
8. Then add filling of meat, mushrooms and cheese. Roll cabbage leaves and add to baking dish.
9. Smother with enchilada sauce. Top with grated cheese.
10. Bake until cheese has melted. Enjoy!