By Chef Vaughn Hobbs
- 1 roasted chicken (store bought or fresh roasted in a Viking Combi / Steam oven)
- 1 onion, 1/2 inch dice
- 2 stocks celery, 1/2 inch dice
- 1 or 2 Jalapeños, depending on how hot you want it, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 3 T butter
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes (or fresh that you have frozen and put in your freezer)
- 6 to 10 white (can be yellow) corn tortillasDirections:
Roast off chicken. Pull off the meat and put bones + some onion ends and skins and celery tops and ends, plus 2 to 3 cloves of garlic in a stock pot. Cover with water + 2 inches and cook on simmer for 2 hours. Strain off bones and vegetables.
Dice chicken meat and set aside in the refrigerator.
Dice the rest of the vegetables as noted above. Sauté in butter and add stock from the bones (it should yield about 5 cups). Let simmer for an hour. Add diced tomatoes. Bring back to boil. Cut 5 or 6 of the tortillas into large dice, and add to the soup until desired thickness…
Add the cooked chicken back into the pot.
Cut the other 2 or 3 tortillas into ¼ inch strips, and fry in oil for garnish on the top.
Also garnish with a dollop of sour cream and chopped cilantro.