- 12 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 2 (15-oz.) cans diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) package shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350° F.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Sauté onion with salt and pepper in oil in large skillet over medium-high heat 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add beef, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until browned; drain. Stir in tomatoes and oregano. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat. Whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Add sauce to pasta, stirring to coat. Transfer pasta mixture to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Top with beef mixture, mozzarella cheese, and breadcrumbs.
Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.