Firefighters resuscitate dog after fire in Murray damages home

Posted at 2:47 PM, Nov 21, 2015
and last updated 2015-11-22 00:19:07-05

MURRAY, Utah -- Firefighters rescued two dogs, one of whom had to be resuscitated, Saturday after a house fire broke out in Murray.

Pat Killion, Deputy Fire Marshal for Murray Fire, said they believe a space heater on an overloaded electrical circuit may have started the fire in the home in the area of 1400 East Greenfield Ave., where an elderly man lives alone with his two dogs.

A neighbor saw smoke and called 911 around 12:20 p.m., and firefighters said the smoke detector at the home did not have working batteries inside. Crews responded, and the fire was contained within a few minutes of crews arriving at scene. The man's son was present, and he used buckets of water to try and control the fire until emergency responders arrived.

The homeowner had stepped away from the home briefly when the fire broke out.

The fire began in one corner of a living room, and while an estimate on damages wasn't available, Killion said a lot of the man's photos and other mementos were destroyed.

Two dogs were rescued, and firefighters used specialized oxygen masks to resuscitate one of the animals. See the video above for footage of the dramatic animal rescue.