- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled, chopped
- 2 pounds yams, ends trimmed, peeled, cubed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In Dutch oven brought up to medium-high heat, add oil. Saute the onions for 4-5 minutes with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the carrots, yams and additional salt and pepper. Cook for 5-6 minutes until slightly softened. Add the stock; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer until the carrots and potatoes are tender, about 20-25 minutes.
Using a lid or ladle, remove 3/4 of the cooking liquid and reserve. Working in batches, puree the mixture until slightly chunky. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if needed when pureeing. Taste; season with additional salt and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.
Note: Garnish with chopped parsley.