- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1 5-pound beef chuck roast
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 onions, cut into large wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pounds carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 pounds potatoes, cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper. Sear each side for 2-3 minutes.
Add stock, onions, carrots, potatoes garlic, bay leaves and thyme. Bring to a simmer, cover; put in the oven, and roast for 3-4 hours or until cooked all the way through to desired doneness. (Note: Adjust cooking time based on size of the roast.)
Transfer the roast, carrots, and potatoes to a platter. Let rest for 10 minutes. Cut the roast into slices. Por pan juice over each serving or make a gravy with it. Serve immediately.