- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 cups peas
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 2 cups cream or half and half
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pound frozen tater tots
- 2 green onions, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup cilantro (optional)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Add the oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms; cook until slightly softened, about 6-8 minutes. Add the beef, salt and pepper to the pan and cook until the meat is brown, about 10 minutes.
Transfer the beef and onion mixture from the skillet into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Add the peas and corn evenly over the top. Mix the cream and cheese in a bowl. Pour the cream and cheese over the top. Place a full layer of the tater tops over that layer. Bake uncovered for 1 hour or until the tater tots are golden brown. Garnish with green onions and cilantro, if using. Serve immediately.