Harmons Grocery Cheese Monger Mariah Christensen shows us how to make three unique and delicious cheese appetizers.
1 package puff pastry, thawed in refrigerator overnight
1 tablespoon water
1 cup Parmigiano Reggiano, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
For Italian Herb Cheese Straws add:
1 teaspoon dried basil
½ teaspoon dried oregano
½ teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
For Spicy Cheese Straws add:
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- On a lightly floured surface roll out one sheet of puff pastry to 12x12 inch square.
- Beat egg with 1 tablespoon water.
- Brush puff pastry with egg mixture.
- Combine Parmigiano Reggiano, salt, and herb blend of choice.
- Sprinkle half of cheese mixture on this puff pastry. Save half of cheese mixture for second sheet of puff pastry.
- Cut 12x12 inch square into 24 (½ inch) strips.
- Twist each strip and place on sheet pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 375° F until golden brown.
- Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry.
Pepperazzi Peppers Stuffed with Whipped Feta
24 Pepperazzi Peppers, drained, save juice
8 oz Feta cheese
3 Tablespoons mascarpone
1-2 Tablespoons Pepperazzi juice, if needed
2 Tablespoons basil, chopped (optional)
- Mix feta and mascarpone until smooth.
- Stir in basil.
- If needed, add a tablespoon or two of Pepperazzi juice to make thin enough to pipe into peppers.
- Spoon feta into piping bag and fill each pepper.
Marinated Goat Cheese Spread
10 oz. log fresh goat cheese
1 Tablespoon each fresh basil, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and fresh oregano (you can substitute fresh dill or other fresh herbs), finely chopped
1/2 cup Sciabica extra virgin olive oil
- Cut goat cheese into rounds and place in single layer in dish.
- Chop herbs and sprinkle over cheese.
- Cover with olive oil.
Serve with Harmons artisan bread and cut vegetables.