Therapist Lacey Hancock shares tips for divorced parents on how they can help their children survive the holidays.
- Why are holidays so stressful for children of divorce?
- Child is dealing with holiday stress of TWO households
- Anger about the divorce often resurfaces
- Memories of how things used to be
- Old traditions are broken
- Blended family issues
- Tips for Parents
- Avoid “split time” drama
- Don’t Compare
Avoid turning the holiday into a competition of who can provide the most fun – movies, light shows, plays, entertainment.
- Avoid giving gifts with “strings attached”
- Focus on the time you DO have with your child rather than the time apart
- Be mindful of unintended guilt placed on child
- Don’t over question your child (if there’s time)
- Overall - Be supportive and positive
Help your child pick out a present for the other parent.
For more information, go here.