Managing Back Pain, Treatment Options for a Happy Back.
Back pain is a common complaint, and most people have or will experience back pain in their lifetime. Most causes of back pain stem from overuse, injury, or pressure on nerve roots in the spinal canal. Although back pain and stiffness can be a nuisance and, in some cases, debilitating, there are treatment measures you can take to prevent or manage most episodes.
Common causes of back pain
- Muscle or ligament strain
- Bulging or ruptured spinal discs
- Disc degeneration
- Injuries to the spine
- Skeletal irregularities
When to contact your doctor
- Numbness, tingling, or weakness in your arms or legs
- Pain that extends down legs
- Pain that increases when you cough or bend at waist
- Pain that lasts more than a month
Pain management and treatment options
- Focus on exercises that strengthen and stretch core muscles
- NSAID pain medication
- Heat and ice application
- Therapeutic massage
- Create a workspace that supports your back
- Physical therapy
- Steroid injections
- Surgery: may be an option if nonsurgical methods do not help
For more information go here.