Asian Dipping Sauce
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha sauce or a chile garlic sauce, optional for spice
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 10 rice paper rounds
- 5 romaine lettuce leaves, torn in half
- 1 large carrot, peeled, julienned
- 1/2 large cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 red or green pepper, julienned
- 1/3 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup rice noodles, cooked
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro or basil
- 10 1/2” tofu strips (optional)
For the dipping sauce, combine all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
For the Summer Rolls, prepare the rice paper wrappers by pouring warm water into a large bowl or 9-inch square or round baking pan. Working one at a time, dip the rice paper wrapper into the warm water for 15-20 seconds or until softened. Place on a flat working surface. Pat the wrapper slightly dry. Fill the rolls with a piece of the lettuce, a few sticks of carrot, cucumber, pepper, some of the cabbage and noodles and a bit of cilantro. Do not overstuff the roll.
To roll them, gently pull up the bottom of the roll and roll over the filling. Then, roll and use your hands to tuck the filling in as you go, like a burrito. Cut in half or leave whole. Serve immediately with the Asian Dipping Sauce.