Crockpot guru Karen Peterson shared one of her favorite freezer meals with us.
Recipe for Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Lentils
Makes 4-6 servings
Cooking time: 6 hours
1 cup dry green lentils
1 3/4 cup chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs, frozen
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 (16 oz) jar salsa verde
1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp cornstarch
Tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream, for serving
1. Place lentils in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the broth over the top.
2. Add in the frozen chicken. Top the chicken with the cumin, salt, garlic powder, chili powder, salsa verde and black beans.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for about 6 hours or until lentils are tender.
4. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Shred the chicken or cut into bite size pieces. Add the chicken back into the slow cooker.
5. If it needs to be thickened, stir 1 Tbsp of cornstarch together with 1 Tbsp of water until smooth in a little bowl. Stir into the slow cooker and cook on high without the lid for a few minutes until it thickens.
6. Add cheese into the slow cooker.
7. Serve lentils and chicken plain, in tortillas, as a dip with tortilla chips, or put it over rice or even quinoa. Top with tortilla chips, cilantro and sour cream.