During your first trimester of pregnancy, you will begin to notice quite a few changes in your body. Although pregnancy is different for every woman and you can’t plan for every situation, it is helpful to know what to expect in the months ahead.
The first trimester lasts from week 1 through the end of week 13 of pregnancy.
Possible Changes or Symptoms in the First Trimester
- Morning sickness: Nausea is one of the most common pregnancy symptoms.
- Bleeding: About 25% of pregnant women experience slight bleeding in their first trimester. Light spotting may be a sign that the fertilized embryo has implanted in the uterus. However, significant bleeding or sharp pain in the abdomen is not normal. Contact your doctor right away if this occurs.
- Breast tenderness: Sore or tender breasts are one of the earliest signs of pregnancy. Hormonal changes in the body trigger changes in the milk ducts.
- Fatigue: During pregnancy, the body is working harder to support a growing fetus. It is absolutely normal to wear out faster than usual. However, if you’re experiencing excessive fatigue, contact your doctor.
- Weight gain: During the first trimester, you should gain about 3 to 6 pounds; though, your doctor may have specific recommendations for you.
First Trimester To-Do List
- If you haven’t done so already, start taking a prenatal vitamin
- Visit your OBGYN
- Start eating a healthy diet and exercising
- Consider your healthcare options