Payson family recalls morning a car crashed into their home

Posted at 9:32 PM, Apr 18, 2016
and last updated 2016-04-18 23:32:39-04

PAYSON, Utah -- Bricks, broken pieces of plaster and glass were scattered across the floor of a Payson home Monday afternoon.

The damage was the aftermath of a car that crashed into the side of the home early Sunday morning while a family of three slept inside.

"I woke up and screamed.  My husband freaked out because I was screaming," said Anisa Turpin.

Anisa Turpin said she was asleep on the couch, her husband and his 2-year-old daughter were asleep on the floor nearby.

"We had a mattress setup in the living room, just having a movie night," Turpin said.

They're quiet family night was shattered like their windows.

"When I sat up I was facing this wall, the living room wall and so that was the first thing I saw was the hole in the wall," Turpin said.

Police say the driver, 19-year-old Tryston Erickson, fled the scene.  He was caught a short time later in the Elk Ridge Township.

"We have a history with him, how extensive, I'm not sure, but we do have a history with him," said Lt. Bill Wright with the Payson Police Department, talking about Erickson.

Erickson is not the only thing familiar about the case for police.

"I have been a police officer here in Payson for over 30 years and I can recall one or maybe two occasions where the cars have left the road and impacted this house," Wright said.

The house sits just off a 90-degree turn on Highway 198 (100 West in Payson).

"It was incredibly terrifying," said Turpin.

On a tour of the house less than two days after the crash, Turpin stopped short of entering the kitchen. The debris pile, included large pieces of the car making it impossible for the walk-through to continue.

"This is where he came through, the bumper is right there against the table," Turpin said.

For now, the family is staying with Anisa Turpin’s grandmother. They were renting the house which, will be evaluated by an engineer to see if it can be saved. The Turpins did have renter's insurance and they are grateful things didn't end much worse.

"What if he had come just 10 feet closer he would have gone straight through the living room wall and he would have got us.  Nothing would have stopped him," Turpin said.

If you want to help the family, a site has been set up for them to collect donations at