Planning for a baby can be exciting and stressful, but it is one of the most important steps in the overall pregnancy process. If you and your partner decide to get pregnant, there are a number of things you can do to prepare emotionally and physically for the pregnancy. Forming a pre-conception plan can help you make healthier choices before and during pregnancy to boost your health and wellbeing.
What does preconception planning involve?
- Visit your doctor to check your current health
- Get up-to-date on any vaccinations that you should have before pregnancy
- If you smoke, get help to quit before pregnancy
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Learn the principles of eating well, including foods to avoid
- Talk to your doctor about starting a safe exercise plan
- At what point in labor do I want to go to the medical center?
- What type of delivery do I want (natural, vaginal, cesarean delivery)?
- Do I want a certified nurse-midwife involved?
- Can I personalize the environment in the labor and delivery suite?
- Who do I want present during labor and delivery?
- What labor position do I prefer?
- Do I want medication during labor and delivery?