- 2 lbs. Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shredded
- 10-12 fresh basil leaves, torn
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Spread tomatoes on a large baking sheet; drizzle with olive oil, add salt and pepper. Wrap garlic in tinfoil with oil. Place on baking sheet. Roast tomatoes and garlic for 25-30 minutes.
In a Dutch oven or soup pot up to medium heat, melt the butter. Saute onions for 5-6 minutes with thyme, salt and pepper. Add diced tomatoes with juice, basil, broth, roasted tomatoes, with juice and garlic to the pot. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use an immersion blender to puree soup or working in batches, add to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour soup back into the pot and stir in the cream. Simmer the soup for 4-5 minutes. Garnish each serving with cheese and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Sponsor: Dan’s Market