Strong winds uproot trees, damage power lines in northern Utah

Posted at 9:35 PM, May 06, 2016
and last updated 2016-05-07 00:29:23-04

NORTHERN UTAH -- Friday's storm that hit parts of Utah may not have carried the extreme winds and left extensive damage like what was seen last week, but it certainly left its mark.

Mother/daughter duo Tanya Murphy and Cheyenne Spangler watched the storm rage in their Roy neighborhood around 3:30 p.m.

"I looked out the window, and I could see that all three of those trees were starting to uproot, and the one just starting falling over, and I hurried and just told the kids to run to the other side of the house," Murphy recounted.

A tall, burly tree in their front yard headed straight for Murphy's house, pulling up the yard and leaving a dent in the roof.

"I was freaking out, I'm like, 'It's going to come in, the window's broken.' Everything's just... it was so scary," Cheyenne said.

Down the road in Hooper and right around the same time, the winds toppled a 50-foot tall, 50-year old tree in Beth Widdison's yard.

For her, the tree was a tribute to her late husband.

"I could have cried," Widdison said. "My husband brought this home in his lunch bucket with two other trees about 4-inches tall,50-something years ago."

The sentimental symbol that carried decades of memories lay destroyed and defeated across her driveway. Widdison's sons and grandsons cut some of the branches off and moved it out of the way.

"It meant a lot to me, but, things happen," she said. "It's grateful it didn't fall on the house or on the wires or across the street."

The Weber County Sheriff's Office said winds knocked out power in Roy, after a power line snapped on 4800 South near 3900 West around 3:45 Friday afternoon.

4800 South was shut down to traffic while Rocky Mountain Power scrambled to make the area safe, and get power back up and running.

"We weren't expecting this," Murphy said of how powerful the storm turned out to be.

She said they prepared for last week's storm, and after not seeing any damage they thought her home would be fine this time around.

While Murphy was surprised by the tree falling on her house, she's just glad no one got hurt.

The Weber County Sheriff's Office said no other significant or widespread damage was reported from the storm.