The prevalence of obesity in the United States is continually increasing, and the rate at which Americans are developing health problems related to excess weight is also on the rise. When it comes to losing weight for your health, lifestyle changes are often the first place to start. However, in some cases, diet and exercise aren’t enough. Bariatric surgery can provide the boost someone needs to gain control of his or her health.
How bariatric weight loss surgery improves type 2 diabetes
Bariatric surgery has been shown to improve or even resolve type 2 diabetes for most struggling with obesity by, what is believed to be, rerouting part of the digestive system. This may change the way the gut sends signals to the brain and the brain to the liver.
- Help normalize blood sugar levels without diabetes medication.
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Help eliminate or lessen the need for diabetes medication in some patients.
- Significantly improve the ability to become active again.
- Be an effective and immediate option to improve health when urgent health concerns related to Type 2 diabetes are present.
Is bariatric weight loss surgery the right treatment for you?
For those with a shorter history with type 2 diabetes, bariatric surgery should not be considered a last resort treatment. Actually, studies show that surgery should be offered sooner to more people with the disease.
It is important to keep in mind that not everyone is a good candidate for bariatric weight loss surgery. A consultation with a physician is the best place to start.
Surgical weight loss options
- Sleeve gastrectomy
- Roux-en-Y gastric banding
- Adjustable lap band
Men’s Health Day at Jordan Valley Medical Center
When: Tuesday, June 7 from 3 p.m.–7 p.m.
Where: Jordan Valley Medical Center
3580 West 9000 South
West Jordan, UT 84088
Free food, sports activities, health education, health screenings, and giveaways.
- The Health Benefits of Bariatric Surgery by Dr. Catherine Beck
- And other men’s health topics