- 1 lb. whole grain pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1” pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped, toasted (optional)
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Cook pasta shells according to package directions, omitting the salt. When draining pasta, reserve 1 cup of cooking water.
Bring a large skillet or Dutch oven up to medium-high heat. Add canola oil; sauté the garlic and asparagus with no salt seasoning and pepper for 3-4 minutes or until asparagus has slightly softened. Add the drained pasta and pasta water to the pan. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes over medium heat. Stir in oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and tomato to the mixture. Cook 1 minute. Turn off heat. Add Parmesan cheese, basil and nuts, if using. Taste, add additional no salt seasoning and pepper, if needed. Serve immediately.