News

Actions

Pair of fires a reminder to be cautious with grills, smokers

Default-Image_1280x720.png
Posted at 7:14 PM, Jun 26, 2016
and last updated 2016-06-27 08:39:42-04

SALT LAKE COUNTY — A pair of fires in Salt Lake County this weekend underscored the importance of being careful while using barbecue grills and meat smokers.

A South Jordan man suffered first-degree burns while trying to extinguish a fire that broke out on an apartment balcony Saturday night.

The fire began while the man was using a barbecue grill on a balcony, which is something firefighters advise against when it comes to apartments.

“Having barbecues on balconies is frowned upon because we have a multi-occupancy dwelling here with potential for fire to spread,” said Reed Thompson, Battalion Chief for South Jordan Fire Department.

Firefighters put out the blaze before it spread to any of the surrounding apartments. The fire was reported around 10 p.m. and occurred near 749 Serra Way.

Another fire erupted at a home in Magna near 7500 West and 2700 South Sunday afternoon when a resident was smoking meat on a back deck and a spark landed on some carpeting. Firefighters responded and managed to keep the fire from spreading to the interior of the home.

While there are fewer risks when barbecuing in a backyard as opposed to on a balcony, firefighters still urge homeowners to be aware of their surroundings.

“Homeowners, they need to be on a non-combustible surface, i.e., cement, non-wood products, non-carpeted products, you know, just be smart about it,” said Engineer Todd Hurley of the Unified Fire Authority.