- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 cup of tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 cup of white wine or beef stock
- 1/2 cup green pimento stuffed olives, cut in half
- 1/3 cup of raisins (optional)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 medium baking potatoes, cut into 1/2” cubes
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a large skillet up to medium-high heat, add the olive oil. Saute the onion and bell pepper with salt and pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add the beef and brown, stirring occasionally. Add the cumin, oregano, bay leaf, garlic and additional salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Drain well.
Add the tomato sauce, wine or stock, olives and raisins, if using. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for about 25-30 minutes, stirring often. In a separate large skillet up to medium-high heat, add canola oil. Saute the potatoes with salt and pepper for 12-15 minutes. Serve beef mixture over potatoes.
Note: You can substitute cooked white rice for the potatoes.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council