Financial expert Rachel Langlois gives us easy ways to save in every decade. Last week was National Retirement Security Week to raise awareness about the importance of saving for retirement.
As we are all in different stages, we’ll go through each age group and discuss some key things to keep in mind:
- Start saving—set retirement goals and enroll in a 401k
- Pay down debt, such as school loans, but don’t procrastinate saving as you lose out on compound interest
- Consider purchasing a home—good for retirement as a place to live “rent-free” or to sell
- Diversify portfolio
- Max out employer benefits for 401k matches
- Seek professional financial help—you are at the halfway point, make sure you are on track
- Take advantage of catch-up contributions
- Focus on eliminating debt
- Start moving towards conservative investment options
- Plan post retirement lifestyle:
- Where are you going to live? Is your home paid off? Will you rent/sell?
- Review budget, is it in line to what your expenses are?
- Update estate planning
For more information on the best steps towards retirement to make at each age, visit: https://cypruscu.com/blog/